What is Vinyl Heatpress Printing? -The Basics
Vinyl printing is a process that uses digitally printed logos or single/ multi colour layer designs which are applied to a garment using a high heat and pressure This vinyl can be applied as a single or multi layer/ colour or it can be full colour for complex designs. Vinyl printing produces vivid colours, crisp lines and a spectacular finish.
Vinyl transfers can be used to print designs onto surfaces where the usual methods are not able to reach, like a hat. They produce high-quality results on almost any kind of fabric. Choose from a wide range of colours, and have numbers or lettering cut out using our digital vinyl plotter. We can also provide special colour finishes: gloss, metallic, reflective, fluoro and even glitter.
Firstly, your artwork is checked by our team to ensure it can be processed by our vinyl cutter. The coloured vinyl you pick is loaded onto the machine, and it perfectly scores the design. The cut design is then manually 'weeded' (unnecessary parts, like negative space and insides of letters, are removed) before it is pressed with an industrial heat press to permanently fix the design to your garment.
For a design with multiple colours, a digitally printed transfer is ideal. Digital prints also allow for reproduction on darker coloured clothing. The modern super stretch materials are bonded to the product and maintain their colour and glossy appearance for the life of the garment.
Things to think about:
- Combed cotton and polyester garments work best with Vinyl Heat Transfer
- Due to its complex nature, it’s not ideal for mass printing and bulky designs do not work very well
- Colour choices may be limited depending on the vinyl in stock unless it is digitally printed.
- Care is required when washing the garments – wash inside out, do not tumble dry and do not iron the logo
- Film may be noticeable around the outer edges of detailed designs, and have a slightly plastic finish.
Vinyl Heat Transfer works best on:
- Hi Vis Safety and workwear
- Caps and Hats
- Sports bags and Tote bags
- Designs must be supplied in vector format (AI / EPS files accepted) or converted before they can be cut.
- The maximum size is 36cm x 48cm for general back prints.
- Smaller size prints can be in most areas on the garment